Tuesday, 5 February 2013

VR Thoughts; The Highs and Lows of Online Shopping

This is a text heavy piece but totally worth a read if you are an online shopper!



Until rather recently I never really got the whole internet shopping craze, because when you're as obsessed as me with trying EVERYTHING and anything on, then purchasing online seems a little daunting. Come to think of it, it seems quite ludicrous that I'd feel this way seeing as I'm a twenty something in the twenty first century. However, I have come to realise that there is rather a hell of a lot more variety available on the web, not to mention, the ease of clicking away without having actually move and so, I took my first steps clicks and this is what I found...

The Highs

ASOS

I reckon these guys have it pretty sussed...they are one of the ultimate online shops if you ask me. Free delivery and free returns, what more could a girl want? Their packaging and invoices (yes I am talking about invoices) are simple, clear and easy to use (adding to the joy of shopping without having to move). The only thing I have ever returned was taken care of quickly and efficiently. Moreover, ASOS's website is definitely something to shout home about - it is unbelievably easy to navigate around and with catwalk videos for most items, you can really get a feel for what you're purchasing (nothing worse buying something and then it arriving and being totally different - but hey, no worry of that with ASOS). If I had to give them one downfall? (this is at a push but...) Be aware there is a lot of stock which can get a little overwhelming when you're not sure of the type item you want (but when is choice really a bad thing?!) and hey, they have a whole trend section for inspiration. 

Missguided


Not only are Missguided taking the lead in affordable fashion (they are always bang on trend) but, my god they are unbelievably on the social media ball. I think making a connection with customers is so important when you are not interacting face to face and Missguided have mastered and utalised their communication platforms to no end. If you follow them on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram...(the list goes on and yes I do follow them on pretty much all their platforms) then you, like myself, will be constantly compelled to join in the fun! With sneak peeks behind the scenes, countless competitions and photosharing (the #iheartmissguided tag being my favourite), shopping at Missguided is more of experience (and the joining of a community) rather than simply a purchase. If I had to give them one downfall? Having to pay for delivery and returns is a little frustrating BUT if you are student or have a little patience, Missguided are constantly offering discounts and free deliveries.

The Lows

Daisy Street


I am a little was ALOT frustrated with Daisy Street as on first appearance it looks to be a great website with fashionable items at a fraction of the high street prices (for instance, I got my disco pants at a steal for around £19.99). As expected the money left my bank account shortly after my purchase was made and I was sent a confirmation email stating that my delivery would take up to 5 working days. Now let me just say, if you are going confirm something and give a delivery time then it would only seem right to stick to it, but no, this was not the case. After 5 working days there was no sign of my delivery so I got online and submitted a complaint 'ticket', with which I got an automated confirmation and a promise of a response within 24 hours. 24 hours later, nothing and this went on (more tickets submitted and no replies). So I took to social media, posting on their  Facebook wall and sending a private message. Interestingly there were a lot of similar complaints and annoyingly only some people were getting responses. Finally after numerous attempts and at least a week after my delivery was supposed to have arrived, I got a response through Twitter  (nothing wrong with Twitter but I would have appreciated an actual message rather than an underwhelming character limited comment). To my surprise my purchase was out of stock...annoying as this was not stated on the website and I was definitely not informed until I had felt like I was actually breathing down their necks. Anyways, long after their original due date my disco pants came back in to stock and were sent with next day delivery and to my relief they fitted (there was no way I was going through that again to get a refund). For my inconvenience (after numerous messages back and forth), I was gifted a £5 discount code off my next order, but to be honest another order is something of which I am hesitant to make unless I see some change. All in all, an awesome company in theory but bad customer service and disorganised in reality!

The Undecided

Red Label

I've mainly included these guys because they are the most recent online shop I've used. Simple, easy website with affordable merch is a plus. However, I am a little miffed with them because after making my order last Wednesday (item expected Sat/Mon), I received an email on Friday with no explanation saying I had got a refund (erm WHAT?). A could days later I am told my purchase was out of stock (annoying as this did not appear on the website at time of purchase and didn't so until Monday afternoon). Is it the norm for online shops to just refund you without explanation? (This is honestly a question, not a sarcastic remark!) Anyways, c'est la vie, I'm probably just being moody because I wanted the outfit for a night out this week and as a gesture of good will Red Label have offered me 50% off my next order (YIPEE) and are thus back in my good books.

Have you experienced something similar? Which are your favourite online brands?


Thank you for reading if you made it this far :)

VR x

Note: Please remember that everything written in this post is from my own personal experiences and are my opinions only.

8 comments:

  1. I find ASOS and Boohoo amazing for delivery and price. It annoys me that Missguided charge so much for delivery when others can do it for free, but they have amazing clothes!

    Denise x
    prettypetitepoppy.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree! misguided is far too expensive
    New follower :) Rachael's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the info! I'm not a pro online shopper!
    I'm following you! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. daisy street is mega slow for delivery, i ordered some shoes once and they look about 10 days to get here. ridiculous!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc // youtube

    ps. enter my new giveaway to win the UD naked basics palette, real techniques brushes and essie polishes! click here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ASOS are amazing! Motel are super fast too.

    Tara
    The Style Rawr!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm struggling after a bottle of China Glaze Up All Night I bought online broke in transit and arrived stinking and staining. I haven't outed the online store yet, as I'm awaiting a resolution - they made me send it back to them, broken glass and all. Argh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've really been put off Daisy Street, I've heard a LOT of negative stuff. I agree about Missguided - the 'restocking' charge takes the mick a bit! Decent service though. Never had a problem with Boohoo, either. ASOS and Topshop never fail me! x
    that-bird.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow an online shopping that offers a free delivery and returns. and affordable online shops! what more could i ask for. will surely visit those sites! thanks for posting!


    online shopping philippines

    ReplyDelete