Wednesday, 13 February 2013

VR Thoughts; Modern Cinema - Substance or Nonsense?

Note: I've decided to take my blog in a slightly new direction and try to post on something other than my fashion at least once a fortnight, so here goes...


I have to say, for me, there is nothing like the escapism you get from a few hours totally mesmorised by a truly good film at the cinema. It sounds pretty ridiculous because at the end of the day you're just in a big, dark, loud room with tonnes of other people but, there is something satisfying about leaving your life (stresses and all) at the door and entering an entirely new world...

However, lately I've been asking myself these two questions;

1) Have cinemas have lost their 'WOW' factor? 
2) What really passes as a good film these days? 

So if we set aside the fact (and lets be honest here) that cinemas are overpriced (thank god for Orange Wednesdays), that because of the social media crazed driven people that we are, we are usually distracted by some tweeting or tagging themselves in the film and not to mention, the sound of rustling and back seat kissing, and if we strip all these things away, then are we really getting out moneys worth?

Movie 43



I'm going to dive right in and label this the worst film I have ever seen (not even worthy a download). My poor boyfriend forked out around £18 to take me on a post birthday party treat and we were sorely disappointed. The impressive cast list is about the only thing going for this film and considering they are big names in show business I'm not surprised there are some embarrassed faces in Hollywood right now. I've even heard a rumour that stars are claiming to have been tricked into the movie....really?!

Now I am no prude, I love a good episode of Family Guy and South Park but, this is simply a 94 minute selection of random, unfunny and crude clips which do little more than leave viewers with a raised eyebrow. The reviews have done nothing for this films reputation (I am yet to of read a positive one) and I really wish I had spent that hour and a half nursing my hangover in bed!

Verdict: 1/10

Django Unchained





Friends, family and pretty much all of Facebook/Twitter have been raving about Django, so inevitably I jumped on the bandwagon and was pleasantly surprised. You know you like a film when it's all you can talk about for at least 24 hours after you've seen it. It was shocking, surprising and wonderful combined. I am still impressed with the way Tarantino (who makes a cameo appearance himself) manages to have the audience laughing one moment and in tears the next. 


I don't want to give too much away for those of you who haven't seen it but, Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio deliver an incredible performance, whilst Samuel L. Jackson is almost unrecognisable. Other cast members include the stunning Kerry Washington and funny man Jonah Hill (who features in possibly the most hilarious and questionable KKK scene). The film is a lengthy 180 minutes but you are kept  entertained with the way Tarantino merges realism and complete ludicrousness (think a horse attempting a moon walk). 

I thoroughly enjoyed this film and I am so glad I made the effort as in this case a big screen was definitely better!

Verdict: 8.5/10

2013 is looking to be a big year in cinema so fingers crossed for some more gems!

VR x 

5 comments:

  1. I loved Django unchained, I though Samuel L. Jackson was amazing in it and I loved the KKK scene :) I didn't think movie 43 looked any good so haven't seen it- and probably won't!
    Daniella x

    http://daniella-r.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wanted to see movie 43 but now after your review I'm definitely having second thoughts! I would have thought with the cast list it would have been good as well, guess I won't be seeing it in a hurry hahaha! Lovely blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the comment on my blog. I love reading them all and seeing fresh new blogs.

    petitesideofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard that Movie 43 wasn't worth the money. I've yet to see Django, but have only heard good reviews for that too. It's so true that movie prices are ridiculous. Maybe if they lowered them, people wouldn't be forced download illegally.

    Lindsey. x
    www.elegant-chaos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete