Monday, 19 August 2013

Holiday Postcard - Thailand

I would never turn down the opportunity to talk about travel so when I spied the Travel Supermarket 'Holiday Postcards' blogger competition, there was no way I wasn't going to give it a go.

Thailand - Sparking Adventure


Railay
The first time I flew (literally) away from the nest on an adventure was in the summer of 2010 when I made the leap and headed to Thailand for four weeks to explore and volunteer (and then again for six weeks in the summer of 2011).

Kanchanaburi

It was a big (and scary) step at the time but I was dying to get out there and see what the world had to offer and boy am I glad I did!

Koh Samui

Phang Nga

Caring for and teaching children on both my trips was unforgettable - from teaching English and helping with homework to taking trips to local waterfalls and tasting the most delicious, local food - it was all incredible (and honestly at times overwhelming).

 I was welcomed with open arms (literally!) and quickly felt like part of the family!


One of my fondest memories was on my 2011 trip where we surprised all of the children one Saturday morning with waffles...I have never seen so many smiling faces and shrieks of joy. It was so beautiful to see such a simple gesture so greatly appreciated.


 
I think being submersed (if only for a short time) in a community like that teaches you more than any guide book or tour ever could.

When I wasn't volunteering, I took advantage of the brilliant location I was in and set off to do a whole host of extraordinary things. Holding a tiger cub, scuba diving, attending one of the most renowned parties and visiting some of the worlds most beautiful locations, all rank pretty high in my book!

 


 

I'm sure that the world is filled with many awe-inspiring places, some of which I have already had the pleasure of travelling to, but I don't think I've ever fallen in love with somewhere like I did with Thailand.

Railay

VR x

2 comments:

  1. My friend just got back from Thailand and loved it! Sounds like you had an amazing time too and lovely pictures x

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your blog hun! just followed you on blogger and bloglovin, keep in touch lovely xx

    http://gypsywardrobe.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete